"It's totally empty. There are no attractions and no points of interest. We don't recommend it. We warn all motorists not to drive there unless they're confident of their survival skills."
- LIFE magazine, July 1986M
Leave it to Nevada to take this abrocating AAA review and use it as a profitable marketing slogan. US 50 is a highway roller coaster that summits ten mountain passes, beginning and ending its route at elevations over 6,000 feet. This regular, repeating pattern of up-and-down across the entire state never ever gets old!
Begin: California State Line, South Lake Tahoe, CA.
End: Border Inn, Snake Valley, UT.
Recommended Driving Time: 4-5 days
Counties: Douglas, Carson City, Lyon, Churchill, Lander, Eureka, White Pine
COMMUNITIES ON THIS TRIP:
South Lake Tahoe (CA), Stateline, Kingsbury, Zephyr Cove, Glenbrook, Incline Village, Crystal Bay, Carson City, Mound House, Dayton, Silver Springs, Fallon, Austin, Eureka, Ely, Baker, Garrison (UT)
Total Mileage (One-way): 50.1 miles
• SR 28 from Spooner Lake to Incline Village
• SR 431 from Incline Village to Mt. Rose Summit
• SR 28 from Incline Village to Crystal Bay
Total Mileage (Total trip mileages): 78.4 miles
• SR 487 from US 50 to Baker
• SR 488 from Baker to Lehman Caves Visitor Center
• Wheeler Peak Scenic Byway
• Sidetrips to Lexington Arch, Strawberry Creek, Mt. Moriah Trailheads