Pioneer Memorial Park
"For such an old marker, this one's blinging. The painted text really stands out against the polished stone work. By whom, however, would be different question altogether." -- Journal Entry, May 2008
Original Date Visited: 8/11/08
Signed: Both lanes of US 95
This spot was part of the pioneer cemetery where rests Frank Baud and others of the pioneers who founded Winnemucca, earlier known as French Fort. Baud arrived in 1863 and is one of the men credited with naming the town Winnemucca after the famous Paiute chieftain.
Baud came with Louis Lay from California to work on the Humboldt Canal, a project headed by Dr. A. Gintz and Joseph Ginaca who devised the plan to link Golconda and Mill City by means of a 90- mile canal and provide water for the mills in the area. It was never completed. Baud later became a merchant, helped build the Winnemucca Hotel with Louis and Theophile Lay, was the first postmaster, and gave the town a schoolhouse before his death in 1868.
Related Links & Markers
Have you been to this marker? Tell us all about it here!