Grimes Point (Prehistoric Rock Art Site)


Grimes Point (Prehistoric Rock Art Site)

Churchill County
  39.40148, -118.64759

"Grimes Point is a treat here in Nevada. Over 95 percent of all rock art sites in the state are kept off the grid for their own protection from vandals, leaving a mere 5 percent ... like Grimes Point ... noticeable and signed for the general public. Although ancient rock art sites are open to the public, most of them require four-wheel-drive or extreme backcountry travel just to access. Well. Before off into the boonies for these sites, I think Grimes will make an ideal jumpstart." -- Journal Entry, October 2007

At Grimes Point Petroglyph Site, 10 miles east of Fallon

Original Date Visited: 10/22/07

Signed: Both lanes of US 50

  • [27] Marker 27 representing one of the best rock art sites in Nevada
  • [27] Marker 27 plaque
  • [27] One of 150 basalt boulders adorned with messages from the past
  • [27] Lonely Marker 27
  • The haunting landscape of the Forty Mile
  • [27] One of 150 basalt boulders adorned with messages from the past

Exact Description:
Grimes Point, one of the largest and most accessible petroglyph sites in northern Nevada, contains about 150 basalt boulders covered with petroglyphs. Nevada petroglyphs were of magico-religious significance in insuring the success of large game hunts and were located near seasonal migration routes.

Running east and west along the ridge, on the hill above the petroglyphs, thee is evidence of an aboriginal drift fence for driving deer or antelope. This required concentrated group action in construction and operation.

The act of making a petroglyph was a ritual performed by a group leader before each hunt. Evidence suggests that there existed a powerful taboo against doodling in places, for purposes, and by persons other than those directly associated with the hunt.

Petroglyphs probably date between 5000 BC and 1500 AD.

Next Marker:


Related Links & Markers:

 Nevada Rock Art Foundation   Grimes Point: Nevada Rock Art Foundation   Grimes Point & Hidden Cave: Travel Nevada 

Have you been to this marker? Tell us all about it here!