Historic Flume & Lumber Yard
Original Date Visited: 6/6/07
Approximately one mile south of this point and west of the present-day highway lay the immense lumberyard of the Carson-Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company. The greatest of the Comstock lumbering combines operating in the Lake Tahoe basin during 1870-1898.
Situated at the terminus of the 12 Mile "V" Flume from Spooner's Summit in the Sierra Nevada, the lumberyard was approximately one mile long and one-half mile wide. A spur line of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad served the lumberyard. The spur ran adjacent to this site and carried rough lumber to the company's planing mill and box factory, one-half mile north on Stewart Street. It also carried timbers and cordwood to the Carson yards to be hauled to the Comstock mines and mills.
Related Links & Markers
 -- Empire and Carson River Mills  -- Gardner's Ranch  -- Spooner Area ...  -- The Great Incline of the Sierra Nevada
Have you been to this marker? Tell us all about it here!